Monday, September 28, 2009

Out & About in the Capital


Another week down & I'm managing to fill my days quite nicely still. I've been enjoying exploring the city on foot. My first batch of job applications are in, so now it's just a matter of biding my time.
On Saturday Will & I had a nice relaxed morning, before walking to Lyall Bay in the afternoon. I love watching the planes come in low over the bay. It was a lovely day, apart from the inevitable wind which I think was trying to claim my hat in the pic below!

On Sunday we walked into the city centre. Our first port of call was Shed 11 on the waterfront to view the World Press Photo exhibition which was excellent. We were then planning on attending the opening of the city gallery which was offering free entry for the day. There is a visiting exhibition by a Japanese artist called Yayoi Kusama. She is obsessed with polka dots, & the outside of the gallery was decorated accordingly... There were a couple of bands playing in Civic Square & the place was humming. Unfortunately the queue to get into the gallery was a couple of hours long, so we decided to flag it & come back another day, even if we have to pay! Apparently it is free every second Wednesday, so that is something I might do while I'm still a lady of leisure.
Instead we took the cable car up to the botanical gardens. It was 'Tulip Sunday' with thousands of bulbs in full bloom. It was quite spectacular. The rest of the gardens weren't looking too bad either...

That's about it for the moment. We are loving living in Wellington, there is so much to see & do. We've been busy buying tickets to a few events... We are seeing Greg Johnson & Boh Runga playing the acoustic church tour in October, Dave Dobbyn in November, we have much sought after tickets for Coromandel Gold to see in the new year, plus Homegrown tickets which happens to be on my birthday in February. Tomorrow I'll be doing my best to nab some tickets for the Wellington Sevens on Waitangi weekend (they sold out in 10 minutes last year!), plus Fat Freddy's Drop is playing the Front Room later in the year so we might see if tickets are still available for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home