Tuesday, December 27, 2016

York

We checked out of our Peak District campsite on the morning of Thursday 27th October and Nicola drove us in the campervan to the Airbnb I had booked for us in York. We were in a very convenient location just a short walk from the city walls. Our accommodation was just a couple of minutes walk from the 55 metre 'Destructor' chimney which was built in 1899. It made a great landmark as you could literally spot it from miles away!
Will arrived at our apartment not long after Nic and I after a successful time catching up with his colleagues in Newcastle. Later on Nic and I made the most of the lovely autumn late afternoon by going for a walk around the city walls.
We only poked our heads into York Minster as I had been inside properly the last time I was in York. It is a gorgeous building.
Walking back to the apartment we were treated to a glorious sunset.
The next morning Nicola headed back to her parents place in Hertfordshire to return the campervan and spend the night, before heading back to her house in Blackheath on Saturday, then back to school on Monday. It was so nice being able to spend so much time with her during her half-term break.
Will spent Friday working with a colleague at the University of York. I spent the day wandering around York. It is such a picturesque city, I love all the crooked narrow cobblestone lanes and ancient buildings, even if parts of it were a bit too crowded for my liking.
On one of the recent(ish) updates on my tablet there were big changes to the microsoft photo editing tools, so I'm enjoying playing around with them.
I pretty much just walked around the city walls again, deviating from them now and again to check out a few points of interest, such as the museum area which had impressive autumn colour. 
On Saturday morning I took Will for a nice walk for a couple of hours (yep, around those city walls once more!) as he hadn't been to York before, and had spent the first couple of days busy working hard to keep me in the manner in which I'm accustomed!
When we were walking the walls we noticed that one of the towers had an open day, so we got to go up to the top via a very cool narrow stone spiral staircase.
We even had the sun come out for a while, so managed to get some photos of the Minster with blue skies..
From there it was back to the apartment and off on a road trip to deepest darkest Scotland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home