Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sydney -Part Two

After getting myself settled into the hostel I went for a walk down to the waterfront to check out the sights. I was hoping for some nice colours in the sky with the sunset, but it wasn't great... On Monday I headed out to Taronga Zoo. This involved a short ferry trip across to the north shore. I was sitting at the back of the ferry so had some pretty awesome views back to the city.
The zoo was fantastic. From the ferry you can reach the top gates via a skyline ride that is included with the zoo ticket. You can ride it as much as you like and the views were again amazing, both over the zoo & looking back to the city.
I saw my first ever koalas at the zoo. They were very photogenic, & surprisingly active considering they are supposed to spend 20 hours of each day sleeping!

This kangaroo definitely wasn't very active! In fact it didn't look overly well... The keeper was a little worried about it as she said it didn't usually sleep right on the path.I went to the seal show which was fun. Earlier in the day I had watched some of the keepers doing some of the training of the seals which was also interesting. A new animal for me was the snow leopard which was absolutely beautiful. Aussie also does brightly coloured birds pretty well. This one wasn't even part of the zoo, it was just visiting...I also checked out a couple of favourites...The zoo also has some Asian elephants, one of which has the teeniest cutest little baby, but I didn't get any decent pics of it. I watched the bird show which was interesting with some displays of falconry. This area had one of the best views from the whole zoo.After a marathon day out, I got back to my hostel just in time to be picked up by my friend Annie & her mum. Annie was a gappie when I was at Bearwood College in the UK, & she rocks big-time! We drove out to her brother's place near Bondi Beach & had a lovely dinner. They dropped me back at my accommodation afterwards & we made plans to do some sight-seeing the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home