Monday, January 23, 2012

Back in Welly

We have had some lovely weather in Wellington since we've been back. One of the days last week I had a very good deep-tissue massage in town, I was a bit battered & bruised, but that was partly my fault as I told the guy to go as hard as he needed... It felt great afterwards though. I then had a couple of hours to kill before meeting up with my friend Scottie & his missus who were over from the UK. It was such a glorious day I sat on the city to sea bridge & read my book in the sunshine. There were a couple of big stingray gliding around the lagoon above which was cool. The saying "you can't beat Wellington on a good day" was made for days like this! I have read loads of books on my kindle these holidays, I've got a bit obsessed with the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. I've now read the first 6 in the series (averaging about 2 days per book!).I have got the next couple lined up ready to go on the kindle, but I thought I had better take a break for a few days...
It was good to get back home to our chooks. They are quite partial to my sweet peas, but I have netted them off so they can't get at them. However Dora has worked out an aerial approach... Who says that chickens aren't smart?!
They also love our pots. It is one of their favourite places to chill out & dust bath. There used to be pansies in those two pots, but they were no match for their scratching...
Our garden is doing well, our three sets of house guest took very good care of it while we were on holiday, so thank you very much if you happen to be one of those people & reading this. The greenhouse is fantastic, we are getting a bumper crop of tomatoes. There is also a stack of chillies and capsicum on their way, fingers crossed...
We have dug up some of our spuds, as I wanted the room to plant out some leeks. Again, we had a great crop. I don't think we'll have to buy many for a long long while.
It is so nice having fresh veges on tap. Tonight I cooked a roast chicken & had it with potatoes, carrots, beetroot & beans all from the garden.
Our outside tomatoes haven't been good. It looks like they are succumbing to blight. I picked all of the green fruit off them & made some very tasty green tomato chutney which turned out well.

My sport has been all go since I've been back. Touch has started up again, & rugby pre-season training has also begun. I'm not actually going to play this season, but I figure the training can only be good for me (even if it doesn't always feel like it at the time!). I would still like to be involved with the team, helping out when & as needed. I've also been getting in at least 2 badminton hits a week which has been good. I'm really enjoying my baddy at the moment.

School starts winding up from now on. Tomorrow & Wednesday I am only in for lunchtime meetings, then we have teacher only days on Thursday & Friday. The kids are back in from Monday. So, I guess my holiday is pretty much over... I can't complain though, it has been a most enjoyable one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home