Monday, February 13, 2012

Sevens Weekend


Last weekend Will & I attended the sevens tournament at the Cake Tin in Wellington. We have been every year since we arrived back in the country, & it is always a fun time. The tournament is unique in that probably about 90% of the crowd go in fancy dress. When the tickets were released last year they sold out in 3 minutes, but I was lucky enough to secure some through my rugby club. I thought Will looked very dashing as a pirate... Unfortunately security took our cutlasses off us at the gate, despite the fact that they were made of the flimsiest plastic ever & wouldn't be capable of harming a fly...
We caught up with one of my school friends & her man, who dressed as Tintin & Haddock. There were a few of them around, but Mike was the best Tintin for sure!
 
 Some people use a lot of imagination in coming up with their costumes. Below you have jellyfish, lego men (who were my personal favourite) & some 'one night stands'.

 
 
 
Our section of the crowd was well behaved & there were no problems. Everybody was just out to have a good time.

 This short vid gives you a taste of the atmosphere...

 In one of the more surreal moments, Tintin got chatting to a neighbouring smurfette, & they discovered they were actually related by marriage! True story!
Now unlike some of the crowd who only turn up to party, I was actually there to watch some rugby. It helped that the kiwi boys managed to defend the title that they had won last year. The best thing about it is the team's obligatory victory lap of the stadium, stopping several times to perform the haka.
Monday was Waitangi Day, so it was great timing having the long weekend. It meant I could catch up on some sleep & get myself prepared, as Tuesday I was off to the Abel Tasman on year 11 camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home