Monday, May 07, 2007

Long Weekend

We've finally made it to the weekend. Monday is a Bank Holiday so it's nice having an extra day off. We lost our first touch game on Wednesday 8-4 against a pretty sharp team. It was only a grading game, but despite our heavy loss we've been put into division 1! It's probably got something to do with us winning division 2 last year... It's now going to be a fairly long season, we'll probably get our butts kicked most weeks! Oh well, I guess when you play a higher standard your own game improves...

Yesterday we went to the Reading Beerfest. It was a really good day out, we arrived about half-2 in the afternoon, & lasted till about 8:30pm. I'm glad we had our free VIP passes which took us straight to the front of the queue, because even that early the queue was already 2 & a half hours. We left at a good time; we had all pretty much reached our limits in terms of beer drinking, it was starting to get a tad raucaus, plus a lot of the beers were starting to run out. We were drinking half-pints in order to sample a decent selection of the 400+ ales on offer. Ones I tried included Amarillo, HBB (it was the initials of one of the guys in our group!), Sharpe's Special, Outlaw Mayflower, Poet's Tipple, First Gold, & probably more that I didn't write down! I also tried my first ever Mead, which is fermented from honey, & also my first perry, which is similar to cider but made from pears. The mead got the thumbs up, whereas the perry was awful. I even found a couple of 'real' Morris dancers to pose with... I baked some blueberry muffins to take along, & Will's contribution was to get them out of the tins & look very cute in doing so...

By the way, HBB said that the caption to the above photo had to be "Lydia wondered if a spit-roast was on the menu" I'm hoping that that will only mean something to you if you're English, & perverted!!! (Goody!)

Today was very leisurely, Will & I are pretty knackered. We've both had a busy last couple of weeks in terms of work. Tonight we watched Shawshank Redemption which is a brilliant movie. I have no idea why it's taken me this long to get around to watching it. I cooked a really nice Jamie Oliver risotto for dinner, my first one ever & it turned out well... Tomorrow we are going to Will's parents for lunch. They live in a small village near Oxford which is only about 40 minutes away. They are great, it's always a very enjoyable visit. I also plan on a bit of time in the garden if the weather continues to hold, & I've also got a small amount of schoolwork to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home