Monday, October 06, 2008

Busy times

This weekend was a goody with loads happening. We kicked it off Friday night with a wine & cheese tasting evening at school. It was open to parents as well, but there were only a few there, & they were nice ones... It was run by Laithwaites which is a huge local wine supplier/importer. We 'tasted' 8 different wines, but while the guy was introducing & talking about them we would take the opportunity to top up our glasses... Eventually the parents all left & it was only the staff left. We ended up taking a lot of the half-fill bottles through to the common room & carried on the 'tasting' there. It was a really enjoyable night.

Saturday morning was open morning, but it didn't really effect me too much. I just turned up for session 2 & ran my usual touch rugby activity. That finished at 1pm, then from 2-5pm I was up at the rugby club. The Reading men's' first team were playing at home, & my ladies team was washing cars for a bit of fundraising. We made £225 which was a pretty good effort for a few hours of (enjoyable) work. The men won & I got to watch a bit of the match in-between car washing, so it was a good afternoon.

That night Will & I, along with Steve & Kate headed over to Annabel's for dinner. We had bit of a team effort constructing a very nice prawn Thai green curry which went down very well. We then headed up to the mansion for a house-warming party for the new textiles teacher. She has a cool flat on the 5th floor which has a private door that leads up to the tower. I think we were all suffering from the excesses of too much wine the previous evening, so it wasn't a big night by any means. I think I was in bed by 11:30pm. Must be old age kicking in...

This morning begun in a very nice way with a call from the Roes in Dunedin. Will & I are planning a holiday in Africa with them & another couple from Bearwood in July which is very exciting. It was lovely to start making a few plans & catch up on all their news. I then had to leave for rugby which was an away match in Ealing, just out of London. The good news is we won 15-0. The bad news is that I bust my 'good' knee after 30 minutes... This is the knee that has seen no damage at all in over 10 years of playing. I've done the medial ligament, but probably won't know how bad it is for a few days. All I can do at the moment is ice it & stay off it as much as I can. It's really frustrating & it hurts like hell, so I'm not a happy camper at the moment. I was really looking forward to playing touch rugby tomorrow night since I really enjoyed my two matches last week, but that is out of the question now.

The ironic thing is I have a day off school tomorrow to go on a rugby coaching course. I'll still go on it (it is a day off school after all!) but I just won't be able to take an active part in any of the practical stuff. Should still be good though...

That's about all my news. School has been pretty hectic lately, & I've been a bit stressed writing UCAS references for my upper sixth tutees. It's for the kids university applications, so are pretty important! The whole uni application process is totally different over here compared to NZ. They are all finished now thank goodness. Will happens to be a university admissions tutor, so his advice was invaluable while I was writing them, & he checked them over for me when I had finished. He is a good husband :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home