Friday, June 13, 2008

Ups and downs...

It is a great feeling having all my reports finished... Things really are starting to wind down now. We've only got 2 & a half weeks of school left till the summer holidays, but I am away for a week in total on 2 DofE expeditions, one to Dartmoor, and the other to the South Downs. I also have 2 days in London with Ric on a first aid course we need to do for World Challenge. Add to that 4 days of College exams for everyone, & there isn't actually much teaching left to do!

Yesterday I passed my Life in the UK test, but things started to fall apart when I rang the Home office to try & sort my visa, which expires in 4 days time! It's all a bit complicated to go into detail here, but basically, due to having to reschedule my Life in the UK test by a week, I am unable to get my indefinite leave to remain in person (where you receive it on the day) like I had planned. The woman I talked to was very sympathetic, but said I would have no choice but to make a postal application, where they say the minimum clearing time is 4 weeks. This is bit of a problem as I leave on our World Challenge trip to Borneo with 13 students on July 10th! School was fantastic today, they covered all my afternoon lessons for me so I could rush around & gather all the documentation I needed, in order to get the application in the 4:30pm post. It was bit of a mission... You need bank statements, pay slips, a letter from my employer stating that they still require me, but the worse was having to document every time I have been out of the UK in the last 7 years! This was a nightmare, especially since I didn't have my old passport for reference (it 'disappeared' from our hotel room in Gambia). I did the best I could, & managed to get it sent away. All I can do now is wait, & hope that they appeal to reason & process my application as quickly as they can. If not, I might have to make alternate arrangements & perhaps meet the rest of the group in Borneo, when my passport is returned to me.

On the positive side, we won our touch game last night, & have booked a 2 V 3 semi-final, thus avoiding the top team who are pretty much unbeatable. We got a hiding in the pool match from the team we're playing in the semi, but it was half-term & lots of our team were away. At least we'll give it a good shot..

2 Comments:

At 8:48 pm, Blogger Fay Roberts said...

Oh Gawd...

I've got fingers crossed for you and hope it works out. British bureaucracy at its shiniest, eh?

Keep letting us know how things are going and GOOD LUCK! :)

F.x

 
At 1:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might be able to get a fast track if you go through an agency (there are lots around like workpermits.com for example). These agencies usually have a fast track and direct contact in the Home Office. It will, however, cost a bit more. Worth exploring anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home